Sunday, November 4, 2012

Tahiti: Hawaii with a European twist

Before I left Alaska, I was able to spend time with Pepper (Price) Pond and her family in Soldotna.  It was so nice to spend some time with her.  What a beautiful family - and lots of fun.  I also got to spend more time with Kaye (Worthen) Tuia and her family in Anchorage.  I feel very blessed to be reacquainted with them.

Bary and his family always show me a good time.  We went to Eklutna to hunt... notice everyone has bows and arrows.  I was the photographer.  Had a great time with them, as usual.  Definitely need to visit Alaska if you haven't.  It is incredibly beautiful.

I have been hanging out with my sister Karen and her family for two weeks on the Big Island, Hawaii.  Love her family so much, especially those sweet little girls.

:)  Isa is enjoying ketchup on her fries as well as the rest of the nachos!  YUMM
She's a nut!  Gotta love her.

I forgot my camera or I would have most certainly taken a pic of them in their cute unicorn costumes on Halloween.

So up to date:
Lisa Brinkley and I are traveling French Polynesia - more specifically the Society Islands (Tahiti, Moorea, Huahine, Raiatea, Tahaa, Bora Bora, and Maupiti) this month of November.  After a frustrating circus with our passports - we went to Honolulu where Lisa finally acquired her passport, the day before we left for Tahiti.  YESSS!! we are finally in Tahiti!!

Papeete, Tahiti
Day 1.  Last night we flew across the southern seas of the Pacific from Hawaii to Tahiti, where we landed at 10:30PM.. we waited in lines for about an hour to get through customs (LOTS of people and LOTS of humidity and heat!)  Blech. - then 30 more minutes in another line to get out of the baggage claim area.  I was happy to get the heck out of the airport, as you can imagine.  My idea of fun is definitely opposite that scenario!

Our hotel is across from the airport - up a hill.  My backpack is 40 lbs... Lisa's is 29.5.  SO.. as we were already sweating from the choas of the airport (and the heat of a Tahitian summer) we were thinking of what we could ditch from our bags - simply too hot to be needing anything extra.  We will be sending some extras home.  It's worth the expense of a package!!!

We were excited to find a church right close to the hotel.  We weren't sure how to get there, so we started early.  We grabbed the continental breakfast (which was interesting - a big baguette of bread, a croissant with chocolate and a bowl of cereal - lots of carbs!) and were on our way to find the church.  I thought it was really close, but couldn't find it.  We started walking the other way and I said a little prayer that we could find it.  A few steps later - I saw a steeple!  How incredible are the tender mercies of the Lord. :)

We walked into the church and found an empty pew.  We had no idea what they were saying (speaking in French).  Then a Tahitian woman, named Mary - she dumbed her name down for us - came over and said "Hello! Bonjour! - I know English, I will translate for you."  NOTE: we were sweating like pigs roasting on an open fire from our walk to the church.  She continues to get cozy with Lisa (arm wrapped around Lisa and leaning in to translate).  The chapel had the slot windows with about 20 fans to try and keep it as cool as possible - oh, my friends - it was not cool... Lisa informed me on our walk home that she had sweat dripping from places she did not know could sweat.  Mary was great.  She even offered to take us on an island tour on our way back through at the end of the month.

Fast and testimony meeting was just like everywhere else I have gone to church.  I love that about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I feel so at home no matter where it is.


Moorea under the cloud.. this is the view from our hotel room.. I will get better at taking pics.. can't wait to fly to Huahine tomorrow and see the islands from the air.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! I am so glad you made it there. although i really really miss you guys! i am excited you finally started a blog. 'bout time. Anyway, love you and i look forward to reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete